YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Animal Farm

Chairs circled on the green carpet, mildewed green couch closing us in. On Drew's chair, Bon Qui Qui, our new cockatiel, fluffed her feathers and cocked her tufted head. Zibby and Willanona, the rats, scampered round and round the floor, sometimes tickling toes and making girls squeal. Sweetpea, the mouse, slept in glass aquarium, and Hermione, the cat,--quite awake--prowled outside the screen. Pots of flowers crowded on porch pass-thru, our gift to Mommy for Mother's day. Conversation rose up and down, to the left and in swirls, in that relaxed manner of lazy words on a warm May day. We talked of summer plans and ideas for my graduation party, of going swimming and dreams of redoing the porch.

Now it is time to wrap my new apron round my waist and pull my curls back, to pull dishes from cupboards and snatch out spices. Daddy is in charge of the meat (what a man!), but I shall make the rest: mashed potatoes, lemon-garlic green beans, and a fresh garden salad. What sweet times these are, these days of living with my family before Drew goes to California for the summer, Macy to Hungary for a month, and me to Idaho for college.

2 comments:

  1. Did you read that article with the green bean recipe?
    It was so good!

    I'm beginning to think this is why I've loved green beans my whole life.
    They'll always be my favorite vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I read the article and loved it! (Which is mainly why I linked to it; I hoped someone else would read it too. Good job fulfilling my hopes :)

    ReplyDelete