YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, February 22, 2010

Crazy Car Catastrophes

I was on the Turnpike today, driving in the far lane so I could swerve onto the shoulder if Mirabelle decided to run out of gas. The needle rested on the orange "E" line, but I was convinced there was plenty of gas to get to the station. I guessed wrong.

As I pulled into the toll booth, Mirabelle clunked and died. Heart in throat, I called my dad. Although he tried to be helpful, there really wasn't much he could do. Besides, there was a very angry lady stuck behind me, screaming. I hung up with Daddy and got out of the car.

"Idiot!" she screamed. "You're holding everybody up! You freakin' idiot! Get out of the car and push!"

Looking doubtfully at my mammoth Oldsmobile, I put the car in neutral and started to shove. Apparently that wasn't good enough for the lady. Continuing her torrent of insults, she got out of her truck and slammed her hands against the trunk. ("She was your angel," Daddy said later," just a really grouchy one.") With the two of us pushing, we got Mirabelle out of the way.

A moment later, the man from the next-door toll booth (I'd been at an exact change one) came over. His kind smile revealed a single tooth hanging in the middle of his gum, and as he leaned close to talk to me, I couldn't help but notice the warts all over his face. Despite his less-than-appealing looks, I am so thankful he was there. In a comforting tone, he told me he'd call the Road Ranger and I'd be all set to drive off in just a minute. Thanking him warmly, I walked back to Mirabelle and grabbed my book.

While waiting for Mr. Road Ranger, I leaned against my car, The City of God in my hands. To the cars speeding past on the highway below me, I voiced Augustine's immortal words. Three pages later, Mr. Road Ranger came. He wore heavy boots and a neon vest; a handlebar moustache reached from his nostrils to his lips and he smelled of grease. But his smile was friendly, he gave me free gas, and I am so thankful that he was there.

As I got back into my car and headed for the closest gas station, I praised God for taking care of me. I am still letting that sweet feeling fill me up, that knowledge that he's got angels surrounding me. What a blessing to be loved by such a God! And how thankful I am that he shows me his love a million times in a millon ways.

2 comments:

  1. A grouchy angel! I'd never have thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so with I had been there with you. I wouldn't have let any grouchy angel boss you around! (Though, I'd have probably been in tears!)

    ReplyDelete